Maintenance projects are rarely glamorous, but they may help you save money in the long run. Your roofing company near Austin, TX, may be able to help you complete a few of the maintenance must-dos before winter hits.
- Prepare Outdoor Plumbing: With cold overnight lows, water left sitting in hoses could end up freezing. You can avoid this issue by draining your hoses before the cold weather gets here.
- Repair the Roof: Making necessary roof repairs during the fall can help ensure your system is in top shape for the harsher winter. Before you can know what repairs need to be made, you may have to bring in professionals for an inspection.
- Clear Off the Deck: Put away any patio furniture and sweep the deck. This may help keep your outdoor living space in pristine shape for longer.
- Beef Up Insulation: Adding more insulation to your attic, replacing weather strips and caulking around windows could help you beef up your insulation. Adding insulation can help reduce the energy wasted from your home.
- Clean Gutters: With so many leaves getting caught in your gutter system, it is no wonder that fall is one of the best times to clean out this system. A clog-free gutter is important during the winter, so water can flow away from your house before it freezes.
- Remove Leaves: Dead leaves block sunlight from your grass. If they get wet, they also provide fodder for pests and insects. Raking up all of the leaves before it gets cold and snowy may reduce this issue.
- Clean the Chimney: If you have a fireplace, chances are you are going to use it during the winter months. Before you can light a fire, however, you should make sure the chimney is not clogged.
- Have a Safety Check: Make sure all exterior lights are working, replace burnt out bulbs and test smoke detectors to make sure your home is ready for winter.
Roofers in your area may be able to help you take on a few of these important tasks.