Are you thinking of adding a skylight to your roof? The top roofing company in Austin, TX, can help you with this addition. The main benefit of putting in a skylight is that more natural light will now be able to come into your home. However, you should consider a few things before taking on this project.
Before beginning the process of adding a skylight to your roof, there are a couple of things you should take into consideration.
- Structure: You cannot put a skylight anywhere you want because of the rafters that are supporting your home. Be sure to choose a place that will not affect the structural integrity of your building.
- Protection: With a new skylight in place, you may now have new water concerns. The added protrusion may cut off water flow. A poor installation may leave your roof susceptible to leaking as well.
- Slope: The slope of your roof may dictate the type of products you need to get. Some flashing kits are available for specific roof pitches. Your Austin roofers will help you pick the skylights, flashing and other tools you need based on the slope of your roof.
- Shingles: Putting in a new skylight is not as simple as cutting a hole through your shingles, roof deck and other materials. It is best if you remove the shingles before you cut. This will allow you to create a watertight seal around the new window in your roof, which may help cut back on the need for a roof repair in Austin.
- Metal: If you have a metal or tile roof, be sure to pay extra attention as you purchase your skylight. Most products are designed to work with a shingled roof rather than a roof with any other type of material.
Putting in a skylight affects your roof’s ability to protect your building from rain and other weather elements because of the new obstruction and the loss of shingles. If you want to get the best results, you need to work with the trusted roofing company in Austin, TX, that has the expertise needed to successfully install this type of product.